With the days getting longer and the weather starting to get warmer, we here at Calvista Insurance Agency are starting to think about spring. (Or at least hoping that springtime is coming, anyway.) And whether spring arrives on time, we’ve got you covered with tips to get you ready for the season.
Beat the wintertime blues
You can take solace in the fact that spring will eventually be here. In the meantime, here are some quick tips from Johns Hopkins University to avoid the “winter blues” and get through those long weeks of waiting before spring.
- Keep active. Exercise releases endorphins that will elevate your mood.
- Eat well. High-sugar foods and large amounts of caffeine can feed depression and actually decrease your energy level. Foods such as whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, seafood and lean meats can help your immune system.
- Go to the light. Bring as much light into your life as possible, by spending time outdoors, opening your shades so your home receives more natural light, or even get help from a “light box.”
- Get your rest. Go to bed around the same time every night and wake up at the same time each morning. You’ll have more energy during the day.
Of course, if you have strong feelings of depression, please seek assistance from friends, family or a trusted health-care provider. There are people ready to help, whatever the season.
Get ready for spring
Once you’ve conquered those wintertime blues, there are a number of things you could do to make sure your home is ready when the weather in California, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada and Colorado changes. Below is a selection of maintenance tasks from the National Center for Healthy Housing (see the full list).
- Check to make sure your roof’s shingles are in good condition (stay safe doing that!), and check your attic for any possible roof leaks that should be repaired.
- Look for peeling paint and repair/touch up as needed.
- Check for signs of leaks at window and door sills and use caulking or weather stripping to seal.
- Clean your dryer vent and make sure exhaust ducts are clear.
- Make sure there are no puddles or wet spots in your basement or crawlspace.
- Look for signs of rodents, roaches, termites, etc. Call an exterminator if you suspect an infestation.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts.
- Clean air conditioner coils and drain pans.
- Replace filters in your air conditioner and dehumidifier.
- Store winter heaters, ensuring that liquid-fuel heaters are completely emptied. These should be stored outside, if possible.
If an annual insurance review wasn’t included in your New Year’s resolutions, why not get it done while you’re in the cleaning and organizing mood? Your life changes over the course of a year – sometimes in monumental ways. That means your insurance needs can change, too.
At Calvista Insurance Agency, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time utilizing all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 831-637-7766, or send us a note at email@example.com. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!
Calvista Insurance Agency: We Are Your LOCAL Independent Agency.
Content provided by: Safeco Insurance